I have now started ironing on torn pieces of the different colours of Vliesofix (Bondaweb) to make an interesting background for the art that I have in mind. I may not use this actual piece of Lutradur, perhaps a scan and further computer manipulation. I'm not sure how it will all work out!
As I find that it is almost impossible to clean the Gocco screens if I use the correct oil based Gocco ink, I had thought I might get away with using acrylic paint, but once I realised that nothing else was going to work well, I used the 'correct' ink. Makes quite a difference! Of course I have now had to throw away the original screen as it was well and truly clogged up with ink, but it will only take a few minutes to make a new one if I need another.
Here I have masked off the purple flowers to that I can get the green paint through the screen for the plant stems and strappy leaves. This screen is I think too small and fine to work very well.
After many prints, applying the paint with different tools, such as a sponge, paint brush and daubber, I have chosen the best print to tidy up in Photoshop. As the final image need only be quite small, I think this will do.
This image is a design combining all the various stamp elements that I have made previously and I'm going to make a small Gocco screen from it to see what that looks like as a print. It may be too small to see all the fine detail however.
This 'crown' used to be on top of the very tall brick chimney of an old brewery. The weight of it was used to stabilise the tower and when it was demolished, the crown ended up here at the University of Melbourne as a garden ornament. Note the fern that has found a 'root-hold' on the side of the crown.
This is the new sign at the entrance to Violet Town in the Strathbogie Ranges in Victoria. The sign was designed by local identity Michael Leunig and has brought a smile to the many people who stop to look at it. With one exception, expressed in a letter to the local paper, the people of Violet Town have happily accepted their whimsical new sign. If you want to know more about Violet Town's history see here.......... http://shawfactor.com/gazetteer/victoria/violet-town/
The little Owlet Night-jar is still in the nest box, peeping out to see what's going on. This time I was able to get closer and get a better photo. Close up it's easier to see just how tiny he really is, about 20 cm including a long tail. What a cutie!
What better place for an elderly cat to be than sleeping in the sun surrounded by flowers. Misty, an Australian Blue Spotted Mist cat, which I believe is the only Australian breed of cat, is 19 years old and not very well. However she does love to sleep in the sun whenever possible.
This is a very stylised version of my new rubber stamp. I also made a stamp within Photoshop, shown here with the original flower. Lots of fun to to be had with this new image I think. Now to carve a stamp of the bud.
This is the bottom left hand corner of the finished piece. It needs a name for the exhibition, but as yet I haven't thought of a good one. It needs something a bit catchy and interesting. Any suggestions?
Made in Germany around 1910-1920, these little boys have such appealing little faces. Don't you just love their knickerbocker all-in-one suits and their clumping boots? The tallest is about 7" high and it's interesting to note that one of the big boys has movable legs and the other doesn't.
A kind friend gave me some figs from her tree, one that was started from a seed that was casually dropped by a bird some years ago. As I had also recently been given a Fig Chutney recipe by another friend, I thought that I would try the recipe out with the gift of figs. The chutney is delicious, but rather runny. I'm not sure if this is how the recipe should turn out, but the flavour is excellent.
I have just suddenly realised that I need to have a piece finished and photographed for an exhibition entry by March 16th, actually at the gallery by that date! Luckily I had done all the preliminary work with just the stitching to do, and it must measure less than 30cm on any side including the frame, so there is a chance that I can finish it in time.