I placed random bits of toning wool fleece onto a piece of stabilizer and felted them all down,
then, added strands of a fine mohair yarn and finally the flowers.
These were made of commercial acrylic felt with fine strands of wool fleece on top, then each one needle felted to the background. Unfortunately the acrylic felt started to break down having been worked on initially as a free standing piece and then onto the background. Still it looks O.K.......from a distance!
This book cover is made of randomly cut pieces of shiny fabric, overlaid with a sheer toning organza and then worked over lightly with the needle felting machine. I made a mistake in using wadding that was a bit thick, but it does make for a sturdy piece of fabric for the cover. The book cover is hard to photograph, as in reality the edges of the pieces of underlying fabric don't show up as clearly as they do in this picture.
Well it's finished, but I'm not at all happy with it. I had a great deal of trouble with the binding, it kept rolling under, and I wish that I had added more leaves to the design lower down on the stems.
The culture that was chosen for this months challenge was American Indian. This is an illustration of a bag taken from a book, unfortunately I can't acknowledge the book as it was borrowed from a library by one of the group members and I don't have any details.
This is the beginning of the piece and what a challenge it was! The thread kept breaking and I even managed to break 2 sewing machine needles as well. Luckily this is just a starting point.
The next ATC challenge is for a butterfly card, right up my alley, but I'm running out of time so I'm going to cheat. Well, just a little! The background fabric is one of my screen prints that didn't quite work for the original intention, but it makes excellent backgrounds for this purpose. The butterflies are cut out of commercial fabric, the cheating bit, but I will do some stitching as well.