Friday 20 November 2015

Dry Point Etching.

 
 
 I was delighted to be able to take part in a class on dry point etching today with the fabulous artist tutor Bronwyn Rees. This shows a preliminary drawing in ink and marker pen on a sheet of acetate.
 I've etched the lines with hand tools and electric engraver here and taken a proof print to see what to do next.
 This is a 2 colour preliminary print where a second acetate sheet has coloured ink placed on it in strategic positions. Unfortunately the ink stuck to the proof paper and didn't transfer to where it was supposed to go.
A better print on etching paper using another 2nd acetate sheet for the background colours. It's a fun method of printing, but very demanding and not something that can easily be done at home, well the engraving can but you really need a proper etching press. It was a wonderful day of experimentation.

2 comments:

Mary said...

I love the images, very rain foresty.
Isn't it annoying when you have to have specific machines/tools to try a new medium, and you aren't even sure you want to really get into it yet?

mycamerandme365 said...

Thanks Mary, definitely rain forest!
I'm not sure that I can justify supplies for yet another art medium, but at least belonging to a print studio I can use their press.
It's a wonderful process which I really would like to explore further, but.......