Monday 7 August 2017

Flower for July.

 While up in Brisbane in July I spotted a large Poinsettia in flower in a park. It's ideal for the series of flowers that I have been working on this year, so the Poinsettia is my flower, or group of flowers, for July.
 
 I've ironed an old leaf patterned scarf onto the A5 sized piece of heavy stiffened Vilene and after cutting out several leaves from another piece of cotton fabric I ironed them into place and satin stitched around them all, adding a central vein.
 I decided not to cut out each petal (not petals really, but coloured leaves) separately, but to cut several at once and stitch the outlines to designate the separate petals. I've used 2 different reds for variation and to reflect the different light falling on the flower head.
 The central small petals (leaves) aren't really pink, but the light in the original photo suggested a paler colour and I had some polished cotton with both the red and a pink in it, and I like the effect.
     The centre of the original flower is more open than this, but I've used artistic license again and then I machine embroidered the actual small yellow flowers.
The backing and the label are now on and I've finished it all off with a border of satin stitch and  indicated some veins with light reddish textile markers.

No comments: