Thursday 14 September 2017

Slow Stitching.

 A group that I belong to decided to embrace slow stitching and to use this hand stitching to make some small purses and bags for sale at the gift shop of the Embroiderers Guild up and coming exhibition titled 'Ebb & Flow'.
 I haven't done much hand stitching in decades, much preferring the speed and immediacy of machine stitching. However, to show willing I started this hand stitching on a piece of upholstery fabric left over from an old lounge suite that we no longer have. I backed the piece with 2 layers of soft muslin for support.
 Unfortunately I ran out of time to finish the hand stitching, so in order to have something to contribute, I finished the purse off with machine stitching. I used heavy perle thread in the bobbin to tie in with the hand work but working from the back, it was hard to line up the stitching with the pattern on the front.
Lined and with a small button made of wood it doesn't look too bad. At least it's finished, even if it isn't all 'slow stitching' !

No comments: